Thursday, January 11, 2007

Parent run organizations.......

For those of you who don't know, Paige goes to a co-op pre-school two mornings a week. This requires me to do duty days. In order to do these duty days I pay my friend to watch Ella Bean. The other requirement are Bingo nights. This is the school's major source of funding - without which the school would close; so parents are required to "volunteer" their time there as well, the number of bingo's is related to how many days your child attends; as it does with duty days. (I get out of Bingo though - Kev goes because he doesn't want me downtown at night so he does them!).

So all that said, we had a meeting this morning. Somehow the president made mention of the fact that there is a family that because of their situation does not do duty days or bingo's - but does pay extra in order to have their child in the school. Well! All hell broke loose. People were furious that if they had to make arrangements in order to fulfill their obligation to the school, then so should everyone. It was then explained that every year there is one family that because of circumstances cannot fulfill all the obligations but is allowed to have their child attend if they pay more. To me this seems fair. When we enrolled Paige we know what would be required of us, and decided that we could commit to that so that she could attend this school. Now I know that if we had not been able to commit, but it was really important that she be in the program I would really appreciate it if we were given a chance for that to happen. I don't understand why others would object so strongly,and I was not the only on who felt that way. Keep in mind that there were only a select few that were bitching. Be responsible for your own family. If you know that you can meet certain obligations (no matter what sacrifices you have to do to make that happen - that is what happens when one has children) so that your child can go to a co-op pre-school then do that. If your school is helping out one family a year that needs it; be happy that your child is in such a caring environment. Don't bitch that they aren't doing as much work as you!
The whole meeting practically was wasted on that instead of anything productive. Apparently this is the first year that any one has had a beef with this, and as a result they won't be doing it anymore. So because of the selfishness of a few, someones child will miss out next year. Paige goes to big school next year, so it won't be an issue; but hopefully it is a nicer group of parents when it is Ella's turn, or I will have to find her somewhere else. We are not amused!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know how they say

"Take the selfishness out of this world and there would be more happiness than we should know what to do with."


Keep smiling Allie...it wont be much longer, then she's off to kindergarten... wow I remember her toddling around the playground when she was only a year old talking a blue streak...Those were the days. :)


Love Ashty

Doodlebugz said...

Thanks! I was not impressed, but guess I shouldn't be surprised, you here about stuff like that all the time. I would like Ella to go there though because the teacher rocks!

Country Girl said...

I agree!!! It's that whole "I work to be here, so should you!!!" mentality... grumpy buggars.
xoxoxox