Friday, January 12, 2007

Placental pathology

How's that for a title??? I had a phone call this morning from Kathleen in the genetics department. When we saw the geneticist I asked about the placenta, and they didn't know. So she got the pathology report from the hospital where I delivered. Apparently my family doctor has had it all along; nice of him to share, and for some reason the paediatrician did not get a copy. Go figure! So, the report stated that the maternal side of the placenta was fine, but the fetal side had necrotic (DEAD) tissue areas. Problems in the blood vessels and some cysts. Now apparently this can happen in pregnancies with normal outcomes, so it doesn't really give us any new answers. We already know that it had to do with that placenta. I also think that we won't ever have any real answers; and I am finally okay with that. I want to focus on the fact that I have three gorgeous healthy and tenacious daughters. Ella does not have any major health issues. So far her hearing looks fine, and so does her eye. What more could I ask for? For months and months (probably because we didn't even have any kind of diagnosis) I was desperate for answers. I am now able to let that go, and enjoy this sweet baby girl that we've been blessed with. Hard to believe that in a little over a month, she will be a year old. WOW!

4 comments:

Country Parson said...

Yes! The history and the causes don't matter nearly as much as the fact that this lovely little person is now in the world. Whatever happened pales before what is, and in due course whatever needs to be done can be done, and the past will be as nothing. She is such a wonderful baby, and she has so much joy ahead of her.

Country Girl said...

Definitely! She wouldn't be the awesome little kiddo we know today, had cicumstances been different, so thank goodness :)
xoxox

Anonymous said...

We all know she has one big road ahead of her but she is one lucky lil' girl who has many people who love her very much to be there on that road right along her side.

Lots of love to Ella & the other girls too..

xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi

I thought you might like to have a look at this support group called...Kids with Facial Paralysis/Moebius Syndrome http://groups.msn.com/kidswithfacialparalysis.

Ella is just beautiful.